From: bret curtis <psi29a@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo infra backups
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:29:05
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 19:44 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Monday 26 March 2007, bret curtis wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Only wimps use tape backup: *real **men* just upload their important
7 >>> stuff on *ftp*, and let the rest of the world mirror it. -- LT :1996
8 > Mike,
9 > We can't do a full raw mirror. There are restricted things in CVS. A
10 > raw copy of the anonymous cvs is about as close as we could do to this.
11 > I personally see little to no benefit in the additional overhead in
12 > doing that. But if you can make a case to say robbat2 and pylon for why
13 > this would be useful to our community then I'm sure we could open up a
14 > rsync of the raw anoncvs mirror.
15 Aside from username and passwords, is Gentoo not so transparent that we
16 can't do a master dump of our collective work and allow it to be
17 mirrored in some fashion by people willing to do so?
18
19 Perhaps an official Gentoo project snapshot isn't such bad idea, chalk
20 full of data integrity checks that people can download, digest, dissect
21 if they really want to.
22
23 Mirror/snapshot/dump and letting others mirror it is ultimately the best
24 intellectual property insurance when the primary objective is redundancy
25 and speed of recovery. Rebuilding infrastructure is the hard part, I'm
26 still waiting to see who ultimately has control of the gentoo.org domain. :P
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list