From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion to stop using 'cjk' USE flag.
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:20:39
1 On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:36:14 +0100
2 "Masatomo Nakano" <nakano@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all
5 >
6 > I suggest that we stop using 'cjk' USE flag, which is to support
7 > Chinese/Japanese/Korean, and we add new
8 > flags(lang_cn,lang_ja,lang_kr,....,m17n). There are two reasons for this.
9 >
10 > 1. USE flag related to countries is only 'cjk' at the moment. But we
11 > need other country flag(ex. Russia).
12 >
13 > 2. It is impossible to apply 1USE flag among two or more
14 > countries because most of localization patches are conflict each other.
15 > (ex. Japanese and Russian patches are conflicting in
16 > media-sound/xmms-1.2.7-r20. Therefore if you set USE='cjk', you'll
17 > fail emerge it.)
18
19 Great idea! I was thinking of something simialr recently, when I had a patch for
20 one program, which is mainly important for russian users. It would be great to
21 have the whole bunch of use flags of the form LANG_{Lang_Code}.
22
23 Conserning the suggestion to have a var in /etc/make.conf - I don't really like,
24 cause users might want to have use flags for more than one language, as long as
25 they don't conflict.
28 Sergey Kuleshov <svyatogor@g.o>
29 Let the Force be with us!
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list