From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] policy for marking development branches of programs as stable?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:36:11
1 * Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o> [03/07/19 12:17 -0400]:
2 >It seems wrong to me that we would mark development branches of software as
3 >stable.
4
5 Have a look at xcdroast (http://www.xcdroast.org/). This
6 software is _alpha since ages, but it is in our stable
7 branch. The author himself suggest switching to his
8 0.98-alpha branch instead of using the unsupported
9 0.96-stable-branch (which is more unstable than the newer
10 branch ;-) ).
11
12 In my eyes an all over all policy isn't adviceable. The
13 package maintainers should know, if it could be used in
14 Gentoo stable (although the software itself is in
15 development). But check it twice and have a talk with the
16 developers of this software if you're in doubt.
17
18 Regards, Lars