From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DEPEND/RDEPEND question
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:25:29
1 Alin Nastac wrote:
2 > Lets say a package foo depends on bar, both at compile time and run time.
3 > Shouldn't DEPEND _and_ RDEPEND of the foo package reflect that
4 > dependency? I usually set DEPEND="$RDEPEND ..." or vice-versa (depending
5 > on which is the most demanding). Am I utterly wrong here?
6 > I know that when a package is installed the usual way (not from a binary
7 > tarball) dependencies==RDEPEND+DEPEND, but portage functionality could
8 > change in the future. It may not be the wisest decision ever made, but
9 > portage could very well remove whatever dependencies are found in DEPEND
10 > - RDEPEND, once the package is installed.
11
12 It needs to be in both. For example if you only set it in DEPEND,
13 merging to ROOT!=/ would break as the dep would get installed in / and
14 not ROOT, so the app would fail to run.
15
16 -Antarus
17 --
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list