From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:35:46
1 On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The primary underlying problem I see about this is that it doesn't
4 > force devs to start doing something to the tree that will suddenly
5 > help make all of the static-deps-only PMs (ie, those that aren't going
6 > to implement this new hash-changed-so-re-evaluate-ebuild method)
7 > suddenly work in a more consistent fashion. IIRC, the very first post
8 > of this thread was a reminder to dev's to revbump so that static-deps
9 > behaviour is more correct/consistent.
10
11 I think the intent here is to define how we want the PM to behave, and
12 what kinds of changes should require revbumps (ie those the PM can't
13 handle otherwise).
14
15 Obvious a side-effect of this will be that PMs that don't behave as we
16 intend them to may have issues.
19 > However, if we put something into the next EAPI about this and make it
20 > a requirement for all PMs (although I have no idea how we would roll
21 > this out; maybe make it a profile-level requirement instead of an
22 > ebuild-level one, if there is such a thing??)
23
24 It may make sense to do this via a new EAPI, though I think figuring
25 out what we want to do comes first. That is, I want to ask the
26 question "if no PMs existed and we were writing our first one, how
27 would we want it to behave?" Getting from here to there is the next
28 problem.
29
30 Really the issue comes down to how we maintain ebuilds. If we aren't
31 revbumping for dependency errors, then PMs that don't handle dynamic
32 deps wouldn't update their dependencies. That certainly has
33 consequences, but whether they're considered "bugs/problems/etc" is a
34 bit up for debate.
35
36 I'm not convinced that it makes sense to do "micro-revbumps" just to
37 force PMs that don't have any concept of dynamic dependencies to treat
38 them as full revbumps. Devs can still forget to do them, and it
39 results in churn that doesn't seem necessary to me. On the other hand
40 I don't want to make life even more difficult on those using
41 alternative PMs (though it sounds like we're doing this already).
42
43 It seems like we aren't getting many more new options here.
44
45 Rich