From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PROPOSAL] Menu system for all gentoo wm's.
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 19:02:25
1 > I've only skimmed over your proposal so far. btw I didn't see a description
2 > of how you'll actually make all the WMs aware of the menu. Do you want to
3 > autogenerate, from the central menu tree, a custom-format menu tree for
4 > every installed WM?
5
6 Exactly. The central menu tree will be quite generic and then the script will,
7 based on it, generate the menus for each WM. The system will be aware of a wm
8 through the .menu file in the rules direcotry, which will contain a bunch of
9 sh functions to generate the proper menu for a specific wm.
12 > Anyway, what about the freedesktop.org standard for .desktop files? It has
13 > some very nice features such as multiple categories per item,
14 > multilpe-language descriptions, etc. More importantly, both kde and gnome
15 > will use that standard in their next releases (maybe gnome already does,
16 > not sure). So why don't we build on top of that? Other people in other
17 > distros, as well as the developers of various packages and of WMs other
18 > than kde and gnome, will surely be adding support for it in the future. Why
19 > do we want yet another custom system? How is it better than what
20 > freedesktop.org has (with perhaps portage-centric tools written to make
21 > things easier)?
22
23 I'm not really sure what you mean. But if I got it right I guess we could use
24 their specification for the central menu, while it does not change the idea
25 of generating wm-specific menu through the foo.menu script. At leasr while
26 99% of window managers do not support it directly :)
29 Sergey Kuleshov <svyatogor@g.o>
30 Let the Force be with us!
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list