From: Paul de Vrieze <gentoo-user@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-security] Update to perl 5.8 disables most perl dependent programms
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 14:15:10
1 On Sunday 12 January 2003 03:58, Alexander Holler wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I would find it good if such major critical updates could be announced some
5 > time before they are released. At my site this update has at least disabled
6 > irssi and amavis.
7 > In the case of amavis all incoming e-mail is has been rejected.
10 At such a site do two things:
11 - Review all, I mean ALL, updates and be critical about what is being updated.
12 With essential systems one might even choose not to update unless there is a
13 specific reason to do so.
14 - Follow at least the gentoo-dev mailing list. Major updates come by some time
15 before they come out of testing. Most times indicating problems and
16 solutions. That way difficult updates such as: perl libpng gcc-3.2 xft2 etc.
17 can be identified. For me I wait with such updates for at least a couple of
18 weeks after they have been released. After that I will try them first on one
19 machine, before installing it on all.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze
25 Researcher