From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 20:06:53
1 Am 07. Nov 2014, 20:21 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
2
3 > On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 19:54:08 +0100
4 > Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
5
6 >> Currently, for portage just to decide that nothing has to be done on
7 >> my machine takes around 1 minute.
8 >
9 > Are you running with or without metadata cache? If you're running
10 > without, it's going to be slow independently of the resolution
11 > algorithm...
12
13 Yes, I run with metadata cache. Without, ... well I never waited for it
14 to finish.
15
17
18 Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. This helped a lot :-]
21 > (For comparison, Paludis on Exherbo will run an order of magnitude
22 > faster for the same set of installed packages, simply because on
23 > Exherbo the input is correct.)
26 This might be a problem that we can tackle, though...
27
28 Best,
29 Matthias