From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:37:12
1 On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:06:56 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
4 >> As I've said all along - I do not have any problems with Project
5 >> Sunrise. I have a problem with it being an official project hosted on
6 >> *.gentoo.org, as I fear most users will think "hey, it's official, it's
7 >> hosted on *.gentoo.org - it can't be that bad". Judging from the few
8 >> users who have posted to the previous threads on this subject, my fear
9 >> seems to be reasonable.
10 >
11 > Do you also expect that once I'm able to move my overlay to overlays.g.o,
12 > it will become this amazing beautiful thing that never has any
13 > work-in-progress stuff in it that's incredibly broken? (I would love if
14 > that were the case.) The same goes for any other personal or project
15 > overlays there, as I doubt many users will distinguish between them.
16 >
17 > Thanks,
18 > Donnie
19
20 But, we're NOT just talking about borked and incomplete packages. We are
21 ALSO talking about good, normal, and useful packages which, for a variety
22 of reasons, just can't seem to make it to the main portage tree. This idea
23 that everything in sunrise is going to be uber-experimental, possibly bad,
24 and likely-to-break-your-machine, is overstating the case.
25
26 And, again, considering your user-community, a user MUST make a few
27 concrete action steps in order to open up [the Pandora's box that some
28 thing this is] Sunrise. No one will ever accidentally be able to download
29 a Sunrise hosted project without consciously choosing to do so.
30
31 As for where it is hosted, as a user. myop says, it should be on
32 .gentoo.org, and on .gentoo infra. Why? Because of the link to gentoo's
33 bugzilla. If there is going to be a relation between bugs on bz -> Sunrise
34 -> bz (and ultimately, maybe) -> main portage tree, then having o.g.o and
35 sunrise together makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, you end up confusing
36 matters even more.
37
38 While I realize there is a lot at stake, and probably some policy issues
39 and security issues that deserve discussion, I think that the degree of
40 doom some of you ascribe to this project is not worthy.
41
42 I think, should Sunrise get a green light, that it will turn out to be a
43 developer and prospective-developer playground and testing site largely
44 ignored by users. Any user who choose to use Sunrise will have a specific,
45 very specific need.
46
47 As an example, there is a kernel source build I've been playing with. I
48 know, from the kernel team, it will never, repeat NEVER, get onto the
49 portage tree. they want no part of it. However, the bug is widely
50 followed, and if Sunrise were to be a home to it, then these bug readers
51 would be able to continue to work on the project. Why should it just waste
52 away on bz? See bug # 103354 started by Scott Jones who did most of the
53 work on it. This kernel source is also tracked on the gentoo forums.
54
55 This kernel source will not cause Armageddon to arrive, cause smoke to
56 issue from your power supply, nor interfere with other ebuilds.
57
58 I think it Sunrise belongs part of .gentoo.org, and it should be given a
59 probationary period, say 90 days, for review. I am sure tracking of
60 downloads, uploads, and problems can easily be done. I think portage can
61 also be reprogrammed to spit out warnings, even require a positive
62 acknowledgment, when requesting an overlay the first time. Something like:
63
64 YOU ARE REQUESTING AN OVERLAY EBUILD
65 There are inherent risks associated
66 with this action. Overlay ebuilds are
67 not official parts of the Gentoo main
68 tree, and as such, should be considered
69 experimental. Do you acknowledge this: (Yes).
70
71 If yes, then touch a file somewhere and the user won't be nagged again.
72
73 Am I being to simplistic or naive?
76 Peter
80 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list