From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: maintainer-wanted bugcount
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:57:21
1 Monday, 26. November 2007, Markus Ullmann Ви написали:
2 > Robin H. Johnson schrieb:
3 > > On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 10:46:12AM +0100, Markus Ullmann wrote:
4 > > d) In addition to c), keep them open, flagged with sunrise in the status
5 > > board, so that when a developer does want some package not in the
6 > > tree, they can search first.
7 >
8 > That's done already
9 So what's the problem?
10
11 The only onse where there is a valid issue, I think, are the ones where
12 upstream has gone missing or no longer supports the package. (Even "better
13 alternatives" thing is questionable IMHO. There are always people who have a
14 different idea of better :)). These can be dealt with by having a dedicated
15 force, perhaps comprised of people most annoyed by these bugs ;), who would
16 simply scan the bugzilla for maintainer-wanted bugs, check the upstream and,
17 if it is dead, close the bug with INVALID and a note of a dead upstream..
20 > > e) Encourage existing developers to review and commit this stuff more
21 > > often.
22 >
23 > That would be the best option
24 Except the issue with all these packages is not committing but maintaining
25 them. Sure, we could go on a committing spree and never touch any of these
26 packages again. We even had such a situation at one point (rather long time
27 ago) and it is specifically discouraged now.
28 The "really best" option would be recruiting new devs so that we have enogh
29 people to maintain everything and add more, as was already suggested. This in
30 fact does happen, it is just that the rate of new joins cannot be infinite
31 plus we seem to experience our growing pains periodically..
32
33 George
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list