From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Having fun with compression
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 15:53:18
1 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> said:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I had this random idea that many of our distfiles are .tar.gz while more
5 > efficient compression methods exist. So I did some testing for fun:
6 >
7 > We have ~15k .tar.gz in distfiles. ~6500 .tar.bz2, ~2000 others.
8 > A short run over 477 distfiles spanning 833M gave me 586M of .tar.bz2 -
9 > roughly 30% more efficient!
10 > A comparison run with 7zip gave me 590M files, so bzip2 seems to be
11 > quite good.
12 >
13 > I don't think repackaging every .tar.gz as .tar.bz2 is a reasonable
14 > option (breaks MD5 digests, we lose the fallback download from the
15 > homepage), but maybe this motivates people to save bandwidth and migrate
16 > their packaging to bzip2.
17
18 Patrick,
19
20 did you benchmark CPU load? Often bzip2 takes 3x as long to
21 uncompress a package than bzip. Often, the space savings doesn't
22 justify the cost of how long it takes for the cpu to decompress the
23 archive.
24
25 -ryan