From: ioda 01 <ioda01@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] alt install problem
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 05:19:56
1 thank u for taking the time to read my little problem :)
2
3 i am installing gentoo on my laptop from an existing linux (redhat)the cdrom
4 will not work ,acting crazy )
7 this is what i did created 3 partitions for redhat (minimum install ,just
8 enough for me to get online and download the tar and gunzip it ),and created
9 also 3 partitions for gentoo on the same hard drive
10 i take over from chapter 7 "mount partitions" since i have the partitions
11 already created .
12 everythin works out very smooth till i get to grub:
13
14 grub> root (hd0,5)
15 and it loads both roots (i am not sure this is part of my problem since my
16 problem is eth0 refuses to load up )
17
18 i do nano -w /etc/conf.d/net and uncomment dhcp (i've learned a little bit
19 since i am using it on my desktop also ,yet i am still a newbie :) )
20 and i make sure i compile the right eth0 while compiling the kernel
21 in my case i have 3CN3AC ( During MAKE MENUCONFIG i pick the one that has
22 III at the end (i used it with slackware and it worked ,while with redhat u
23 dont know what the hell is going on :))
24
25 i do #/sbin/ifconfig eth0
26 eth0: error fetching interface information:device not found
27 and after i load up i get failed to laod eth0
28
29 i did this twice so i guess i am making the same mistake ,please ask me any
30 question and i will reply witht he answers
31 thank u for taking the time to read my sad story and GOD BLESS!!
32
33 p.s. everythin else looks just fine i mean it boots in to gentoo without any
34 otehr problem beside the eth0 problem
35 i am using cable modem ...
42 Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online
43 http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963