From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Disturbing state of arch testing in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 08:15:47
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 Arch testing's relying on automation a lot these days. Not saying
4 that's bad, if it improves the state of affairs. However, I have some
5 concerns, based on what I've seen lately.
6
7 On top of that, it seems that most of it still relies on proprietary
8 software and we have no clue how *exactly* it works, and it's really,
9 really hard to get a straight answer.
10
11 So, my questions are:
12
13 1. Is "runtime testing required" field being respected? Obviously not
14 every package can be (sufficiently) tested via FEATURES=test, so we've
15 added that fields. However, if arch testers just ignore it and push
16 things stable based on pure build testing...
17
18 2. How are kernels being tested? Given the speed with which new gentoo-
19 sources stablereqs are handled, I really feel like "arch testing" there
20 means "checking if sources install", and have little to do with working
21 kernels.
22
23 3. How does the automation handle packages that aren't trivially
24 installable? I recall that in the past stablereqs were stalled for
25 months without a single comment because automation couldn't figure out
26 how to proceed, and nobody bothered reporting a problem.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny