From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPI1?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:19:50
1 Ciaran McCreesh schrieb:
2 > On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:14:33 +0100
3 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Ciaran McCreesh schrieb:
5 >>>> Is there really much of a benefit to this? I guess for anybody who
6 >>>> runs scripts to mass-manipulate ebuilds it might be helpful, but I
7 >>>> think all the package managers planned on supporting all the EAPIs
8 >>>> for quite a while longer.
9 >>> We have to support them indefinitely. It's not possible to
10 >>> uninstall a package whose EAPI is unknown.
11 >>>
12 >> Would it be feasible to do a pkg_pretend() check and refuse
13 >> install/upgrade if packages with unsupported EAPI are detected?
14 > Uhm. I think your question doesn't make any sense, but maybe I'm just
15 > not understanding it. Rephrase please.
18 Assume a new version 13.37 of your package manager drops EAPI=1 support.
19 So package-manager-13.37.ebuild checks in pkg_pretend() if any EAPI=1
20 package is installed on the system. If yes, then it aborts, telling the
21 user to get rid of the package first.
22
23 That way, the situation where the package manager does not know how to
24 uninstall a package is avoided.
25
26 Note that I do not suggest that this be done, I only show that it can be
27 possible to drop old EAPI support.
30 Best regards,
31 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn