From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage-ng question
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:26:38
1 On 12/08/03 Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
2
3 > As part of the upgrade to portage will there be tools that let us work
4 > with UNinstalled packages? There are tools now like qpk, epm, etc.
5 > but they have to have the package installed before you can get useful
6 > information and many times we don't want to install a package which
7 > might have oodles of dependencies installed with it.
8
9 portage-ng is still in a very early planning stage, also it won't be a
10 simple upgrade but a completely new package. Also many informations can
11 technically only be gotten from installed packages if they are supposed
12 to be accurate. If we get them from uninstalled packages the accuracy
13 will be reduced depending on the package. So the question would be is
14 inaccurate information better or worse than no information?
15
16 Marius
21 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
22 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.