From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage 1.5 improvements list
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:19:28
1 On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:13:36PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2
3 > If a package provides for example virtual/mta, does it work to add
4 > !virtual/mta to RDEPEND to prevent installation of duplicate mta's ?
5 > I would call the variable MULTIPLE because DIFFVERSION is abit to long in my
6 > eyes.
7
8 OK, MULTIPLE is good.
9
10 Ah, another thing I need to add -- pkgmerge virtual merging support. This gets
11 complicated; part of me thinks that the *user* should choose the proper virtual
12 package, rather than us selecting for them. At first, I was thinking that the
13 first package listed in /usr/portage/virtual-update would be used, but now I
14 think that's too simplistic. I don't want Portage to automatically install
15 qmail for someone -- I think that they (for safety reasons) should be involved
16 in that choice.
17
18 Right now, a recursive pkgmerge will fail if it gets to a virtual dependency.
19 It'll let the user know that it couldn't find "virtual/mta" and it will be up
20 to the user to resolve it. Comments?
23 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
24 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
25 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.