From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Daniel Campbell <contact@××××××××.us>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:06:24
1 Dnia 2014-12-07, o godz. 04:43:05
2 Daniel Campbell <contact@××××××××.us> napisał(a):
3
4 > > If you're interested in testing it, 'layman -a mgorny' and enjoy.
5 > > I'd appreciate any bug reports, except for those covering things
6 > > i've already listed as missing :). Any further comments will be
7 > > very helpful in deciding on the way forward.
8 > >
9 > > If there is a real interest in my fork, I will probably move it to
10 > > gx86 as sys-devel/gcc-mgorny. I will also be happy to work on
11 > > replacing the new versions of original sys-devel/gcc completely.
12 > > With QA process against toolchain.eclass if necessary.
13 >
14 > As a user, what would adopting this do? For instance I run ~amd64
15 > multilib and have had quite a time dealing with the recent multilib
16 > changes (specifically with Humble Bundle games). Would you recommend
17 > helping you test this simplified and/or cleaned up toolchain on one's
18 > primary system, or is it better off for more specific systems that
19 > don't need to be as versatile as a multi-purpose desktop machine?
20
21 I wouldn't run it on production system, or when you need crossdev with
22 4.9.2. If you're on Hardened or some less common system, I wouldn't try
23 it as the primary compiler. Also, best if you have a backup gcc or
24 binary package you can downgrade to (quickpkg --include-configs=y gcc).
25
26 That said, I'm running it on all my ~amd64 and ~x86 systems and it
27 works. I've rebuilt all packages on my devbox using it and nothing
28 (new) failed. However, I didn't try building it using <gcc-4.8.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny