From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tests
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 12:01:02
1 On Tue, 01 May 2007 21:51:17 -0400
2 Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o> wrote:
3 > Sure, but now you're requiring me to go through all that extra work
4 > if I want any of the benefits of EAPI=1.
5
6 It is likely that EAPI-1 will be stricter in quite a few areas...
7
8 > Or, third option, is that everyone marks their packages as "low
9 > priority tests, don't run them" just to switch to EAPI=1, and we have
10 > no gain over what we have now.
11
12 No, even that's a gain. It means that arch teams *know* when a test
13 failure isn't a problem. But 'everyone' won't do that.
14
15 > I think this thread in general overestimates the value of tests in
16 > packages.
17
18 To maintainers, possibly. Not to arch teams. The way test suites are
19 now makes arch teams' jobs a lot harder than they should be.
22 Ciaran McCreesh