From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: allow -1 for ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID in ::gentoo
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:31:20
1 All,
2
3 I want to discuss why we ban -1 as the ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID setting
4 for all acct-user and acct-group packages in ::gentoo.
5
6 Here are my thoughts about it.
7
8 - As Gordon pointed out, it isn't necessary for us to care about UIDS/GIDS
9 most of the time.
10
11 - I realize that our settings are suggestions, but the values we can
12 suggest are not infinite. We have run out once, and it is only a matter of
13 time until we do again.
14
15 - If an end user needs to care about the UID/GID, they can easily override
16 the settings in make.conf.
17
18 In short, I don't think we should be forcing maintainers to pick a
19 specific UID/GID for every package that needs a user/group. Most of the
20 time they can set ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID to -1.
21
22 Thoughts? In particular, I want to hear from folks who disagree with me
23 about using -1 in the main tree for most packages.
24
25 Thanks,
26
27 William