From: Meir Kriheli <mksoft@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Installer (2) [LARGE]
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 09:22:52
1 On Sunday 02 June 2002 17:16, David Chamberlain wrote:
2 > I have no problem with the idea of an installer. The more tools the
3 > better. On the other hand, a possible problem with Anaconda: I haven't used
4 > it, but I assume it's x86 only? If so, we can't use it on ppc, sparc etc.
5 > One of gentoo's greatest virtues is portability (look for more ports
6 > appearing over the next few months), and I would encourage anyone
7 > writing tools to bear this in mind. For a quick fix, anaconda may be
8 > fine (we'll just live without the installer on ppc), but is there any
9 > reason why, in the long term, the --buildpkg/--usepkg features of
10 > portage couldn't be leveraged in place of the rpms? A virtue of this is
11 > that portage itself could be tweaked to enhance the installer if
12 > necessary, since it's our tool, not RedHat's.
13 >
14 > Regards,
15 >
16 > David
17 >
18
19 I intend to write one from scratch (using qt/e or fb/gtk+ as I need i18n). I
20 think anaconda has too many redhat specific issues, and writing one from
21 scratch would make a fun and interesting project.
22 --
23 Meir Kriheli