From: Craig Joly <craig@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3 - Help!
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:56:36
1 On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 04:25:28AM +0000, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
2 > Don't ask how, but I nuked my QT 3 installation (I deleted by mistake
3 > libqt-mt.so.3), so, I had to "emerge qt" again. It compiled and installed
4 > fine. Problem is now, that Konqueror randomly crashes. Rest of KDE works
5 > fine, only Konqueror and Kfmclient seem to have problems. It does not seem
6 > to like the newly compiled QT 3, while it worked fine with the previous QT
7 > 3, just 1.5 weeks ago. :(
8 >
9 > So, I tried to re-emerge kde again, but it does not bloody download
10 > anything. It refuses to re-download it and compile it. In fact it says:
11 >
12 > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
13 >
14 > # emerge kde
15 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
16 > >>>emerge kde-base/kde-3.0 to /
17 > >>>Unpacking source...
18 > >>>Source unpacked.
19 >
20 > >>>Install kde-3.0 into /var/tmp/portage/kde-3.0/image/ category kde-base
21 > strip:
22 > >>>Completed installing into /var/tmp/portage/kde-3.0/image/
23 >
24 > >>>Merging kde-base/kde-3.0 to /
25 >
26 > >>>Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
27 > >>>kde-base/kde-3.0 merged.
28 >
29 > * Regenerating GNU info directory index...
30 > * Processed 63 info files.
31 >
32 > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
33 >
34 > The whole process takes 30 seconds. I tried with the update command, even
35 > --update world (I still run Gentoo 1.0) but it won't download KDE 3.
36 >
37 > How do I force the system to download again, recompile and reinstall KDE 3?
38 >
39 kde-3.0 is just a shell ebuild that depends on other ebuilds. It
40 doesn't install anything itself. Since all of it's dependencies are
41 already installed, it doesn't need to do anything.
42
43 Take a look at the ebuild and you'll see. I'm guessing konqueror is
44 in kdebase, so try "emerge kdebase".
45
46 Craig
49 Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and
50 taste good with ketchup.