From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] More reliable hiding preserved libraries
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:09:37
1 On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 03:27:34PM +0200, Tiziano MMMller wrote:
2 > > Via that, the resolver can see that a rebuild is necessary and plan a
3 > > rebuild of all consumers (whether NEEDED based or revdep). Note
4 > > preserve-lib would be rather useful here- specifically holding onto
5 > > the intermediate lib while doing rebuilding.
6 >
7 > No, it doesn't help since you may have the same problems some people try
8 > to solve in this thread.
9
10 Might I suggest in the future purning down what you're responding to,
11 to just that blurb? At first read of your response I thought you were
12 arguing against the ABI var itself (which didn't make a helluva lot of
13 sense).
14
15 Meanwhile, yes, using preserve lib there still has some issues- the
16 reason I mentioned it possibly being held onto is that if we're
17 talking about something like openssl, having your system be horked for
18 the intervening period isn't a great thing thus it may be useful as an
19 option at the least.
20
21 > > This however breaks down
22 > > a bit when the ABI change is in reverse of normal versioning.
23 > How so? Such a var should just specify the ABI and the PM only has to
24 > check whether it changed from one PVR to the other. The "how" is
25 > completely irrelevant.
26
27 That comment is in reference to if preserve-lib is still enabled for
28 the rebuild.
29
30 ~harring