From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Anti-spam for goose
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 13:05:44
1 Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > > While services such as reCAPTCHA are (as said) massively intrusive, there
3 > > are other, much less intrusive and even terminal-compatible ways to construct
4 > > a CAPTCHA. Hello game developers, you have 80x23 "pixels" to render a puzzle
5 > > for a human above the response input line - that's not so bad.
6 >
7 > Well, they kinda have to be,
8
9 I disagree with that, especially for this service, that was the point I
10 wanted to make. :)
13 > the state of AI is increasing so much that current captcha systems
14 > undoubtedly also develop their own adversarial AI to try beat their
15 > own captcha.
16 >
17 > I don't think we have the sort of power to develop this.
18
19 In any case I don't think that's required.
22 > And the inherently low entropy of only having 80x23 with so few
23 > (compared to full RGB) bits per pixel,
24
25 A character doesn't compare too bad to RGB. See aalib, or if you
26 will risk exclusion of color-vision-impaired humans libcaca.
29 > this gives any would-be AI a substantial leg up.
30 >
31 > Using text distortion is amateur hour these days.
32 >
33 > (and there's always mechanical-turk anyway)
34
35 Except this isn't for some web-scale disruptive startup, it's a
36 statistics/reputation system for an advanced, super-nerdy Linux distribution.
37
38 Please think more about the threat model, and remember the rate limit knob.
39
40 The bar only needs to be raised high enough.
43 //Peter