From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 30: "Planet Gentoo" web log aggregator
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:37:30
1 On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Daniel Drake wrote:
2
3 > Daniel Drake wrote:
4 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0030.html
5 >
6 > Stuart has brought up the issue of what happens when a gentoo developer who
7 > uses a gentoo-hosted weblog leaves the project. Would it be unreasonable for
8 > us just to close and delete that log?
9 >
10 > The alternative to this is not to provide our developers with weblog hosting -
11 > instead, we'd get people to sign up for one of the many free blogging services
12 > available elsewhere.
13 >
14 > Thoughts?
15
16 Michael Kohl said it, but I believe not strongly enough:
17
18 Deleting a blog immediately upon a developer leaving could present
19 technical and legal difficulties. Closing/freezing the blog would not
20 provide such problems. It's possible that the blog could be deleted
21 after a time, but said deletion would need to be separated in both time
22 (due to legal issues) and project development (delete the blog too soon,
23 and you could lose important historical information.)
24
25 I'd suggest that deleting blogs for this reason would be unnecessary;
26 disk space is cheap, and blogs typically don't take up much space. If a
27 blog is ever deleted, it should be closed/frozen for at least 30 days
28 before actual deletion.
29
30 Ed
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list