From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:30:54
1 On Friday 04 November 2005 16:55, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > On Friday 04 November 2005 14:38, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
4 > >>Paul de Vrieze wrote:
5 > >>>What is worse is that some
6 > >>>users might not update for a prolongued time (6 months). At that
7 > >>> time they will not find the information in the erata list anymore.
8 > >>> But they will get the RELEVANT news delivered by emerge/enews.
9 > >>
10 > >>Why would a "SomeSQL 1.0 to 1.1" guide ever need to dissappear?
11 > >> Surely errata.g.o would have archiving/searching. But I do see your
12 > >> point about emerge filtering out the unwanted stuff.
13 > >
14 > > It would be hidden in the forrest. Even if I did a search on SomeSQL,
15 > > it might return a number of news items on SomeSQL. That is besides
16 > > the fact that I have 737 packages installed. I'm not going to search
17 > > news on all of them. Archiving would of course be provided, but
18 > > searching is not usefull for updating.
19 >
20 > You update all 737 packages with each emerge? I don't see any validity
21 > in your point; a nice http://errata.g.o/ site with archived guides and
22 > search wouldn't preclude 'emerge --news' in any way.
23
24 No, not all 737, but when I update one of my machines that I didn't update
25 in those 6 months (perhaps except security updates), I'm going to have to
26 remerge the majority of them. There might be quite some trivial updates
27 in those, but I wouldn't be able to find out before I update.
28
29 Paul
30
31 ps. Even if it were 50 updates (which happens often enough for me), it
32 would be too much to search info for all of them.
35 Paul de Vrieze
36 Gentoo Developer
37 Mail: pauldv@g.o
38 Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net