From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:39:59
On 6/16/10 5:33 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> As I have heard there are people not joining Gentoo because the > atmosphere in Gentoo is lacking respect and empathy.
This is really sad. And the kind of people who value that often make good developers if they also have good technical skills.
> I have searched a few places for rules on tone,
I believe one can't solve this problem by using rules.
> - With these Code of Conduct rules in place how come DevRel > is not publicly reminding of these rules where necessary?
I think the initiative is on the offended person's side. If a developer is being aggressive and needlessly argumentative towards other people, that's clearly a misconduct. Similarly for aggressive users.
> Could it be we expect perfection from each other instead seeking to > understand and complement each other?
That might be a part of it.
> What can we do to make Gentoo a friendlier community?
We need leadership. I remember very well when the leader of one of the Gentoo projects I participate in reminded me to always say "thanks" to people who are helping us on Bugzilla. A small thing, but wasn't he right? I believe it's the project leaders and the Council who ultimately set the tone. Paweł

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
[gentoo-dev] Re: Tone in Gentoo Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>