From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Jason Huebel <jhuebel@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cascading profiles for normal Gentoo usage or not
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:51:09
1 On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 17:41, Jason Huebel wrote:
2 > On Thursday 12 August 2004 2:40 pm, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 > > I'm very confused. Some developers tell me that we should use the cascading
4 > > profiles now and that the flat profiles are outdated;
5 This is true.
6
7 > others tell me that
8 > > cascading profiles are still in development and shouldn't be advised for
9 > > normal usage.
10 Whoever told you this is wrong.
13 > > What's the truth behind this? Do we all need to use the cascading profiles
14 > > and the bootstrap-cascade.sh script or the flat profiles with the
15 > > bootstrap.sh script?
16 > >
17 Both obsolete and should be removed from the tree in my opinion.
18
19 > > A very confused Sven Vermeulen
20 >
21 > BTW, I'm the sorry b*st*rd that started this... :-) I've gotten a couple of
22 > emails from users saying that the gentoo-upgrading doc tells them to use a
23 > cascading profile for their make.profile symlink.
24 >
25 > As I understand it, cascading profiles are in testing by devs and are targeted
26 > for public consumption in 2004.3. If that's the case, then the
27 > gentoo-upgrading doc needs to be changed.
28
29 cascading profiles have been in production for 2 releases now (atleast
30 for selinux) and they work.
31
32 Whats pending and this is getting old is somebody from releng unmasking
33 the cascade aware catalyst-1.0.8.1-r1.ebuild.
36 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
37 --
38 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
39 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer