From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] perl, sed and non-gsed
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:05:43
1 On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:13:24 +0200 "Diego \"Flameeyes\" Pettenò"
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 | On Tuesday 29 March 2005 18:56, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > This isn't like find or tar or similar, where switching GNU syntax
5 | > to POSIX is pretty trivial. There are a *lot* of extensions in GNU
6 | > sed, and we use them.
7 | I haven't saw so much of these extension in the ebuilds themselves..
8 | Probably is needed for many other scripts, but still using the
9 | standard posix syntax when gnu's one is not needed could be helpful.
10
11 *shrug* I looked into this back when the issue first arose with the
12 ppc-macos port. I and several others worked out that it'd be a heck of a
13 lot of effort for virtually no gain on the sed issue (this isn't the
14 case for most other core apps) -- after all, isn't the point of
15 Gentoo/blah to replace a lot of the lame blah-provided tools with
16 something better?
17
18 | Also iirc bsdish sed has its own extensions.. if they are compatible
19 | could be used.
20
21 Well, see... If these extensions are sufficient to cover everything in
22 the tree and everything that is ever likely to be in the tree, then
23 there isn't a problem. I strongly suspect that this won't be the case.
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm