From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: k_f@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pr@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item about interoperability restrictions of >=net-p2p/syncthing-1.2.0
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 11:46:13
1 On 2019-07-18 11:12, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2
3 > Should we be more specific as to how not to enable it here? is it a
4 > USE-flag? does it require a package mask for newer versions if it is
5 > always used for the newer ones?
6
7 Good point, this should explicitly say "do not emerge new versions". My
8 own thoughts on the matter have been that since we are now in the
9 process of stabilising syncthing-1.1.4 (i.e. the latest version which
10 does not force the use of large blocks) and that I do not intend to push
11 the 1.2.0 ebuild until stabilisation has been concluded, it would be up
12 to individual users to mask newer versions should they insist on using
13 ~arch ebuilds.
14
15 > Also cluster immediately made me think of server<>client relationship
16 > and this only affecting server side, which probably doesn't fit well
17 > with syncthing, but admittedly I don't use it so not familiar with the
18 > nomenclature.
19
20 I guess it is a bit subjective and/or based on one's experience, in my
21 case "cluster" brings to mind a cluster of peers. Anyway, this is the
22 wording from the official upstream statement so I would rather not
23 change it unless there is a good reason for it - like the
24 Gentoo-specific clarification you have suggested above.
25
26 PS. For the record, I have already published this news item (a couple of
27 hours ahead of schedule I am afraid, I didn't remember the exact time I
28 submitted the RFC) so I'll include your comments in the second revision.
31 MS