From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
Cc: Sam James <sam@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal: use only one hash function in manifest files
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 04:13:29
1 >>>>> On Wed, 06 Apr 2022, Jason A Donenfeld wrote:
2
3 > I think actually the argument I'm making this time might be subtly
4 > different from the motions that folks went through last year.
5 > Specifically, the idea last year was to switch to using BLAKE2b only.
6 > I think what the arguments I'm making now point to is switching to
7 > SHA2-512 only.
8
9 Still, I think that if we drop one of the hashes then we should proceed
10 with the original plan. That is, keep the more modern BLAKE2B (which was
11 a participant of the SHA-3 competition [1]) and drop the older SHA512.
12
13 Back then, we had the choice between adding SHA3_512 and BLAKE2B, and we
14 preferred BLAKE2B for performance reasons.
15
16 I also think that the argument about the OpenPGP signature isn't very
17 strong, because replacing that signature by another one using a
18 different hash is trivial. As I said before, replacing all Manifest
19 files in the tree isn't.
20
21 Ulrich
22