From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] multilib conversion: Please keep building binaries for all target ABIs
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 16:32:31
1 Alexis Ballier schrieb:
2 > On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 17:32:56 +0200
3 > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> As the topic says, when someone converts an ebuild to multilib, please
6 >> dont disable binary building for other ABIs, as has already been done
7 >> for some packages.
8 >>
9 >> This will break e.g. for users who target 64bit toolchain and 32bit
10 >> userland, since those would not get any binaries from building for
11 >> none-default ABIs.
14 > - submit a patch against multilib_is_native_abi for those corner cases
15
16 huh? Please tell me, how a changed multilib_is_native_abi function would
17 help here. Either you restrict something to native abi or you dont,
18 having a check telling you "true - we are either native abi or not" is
19 not really usefull, is it?
20
21 > - fill bugs and patches for ebuilds disabling it by other means
22 > (there are because this function didnt exit at the beginning)
23
24 see above
28 > no, we won't be building useless stuff to throw it away one
29 > minute later, thanks for the bloat.
30
31 We already do it in many cases, just take complete package rebuilds due
32 to USE flag changes. Having some more lines compiled wont kill your
33 computer, but will allow people to use their own target setup.
34
35 If you really care about building something, you should know, that
36 Gentoo is not the right place to complain about.
41 Thomas Sachau
42 Gentoo Linux Developer