From: Zach Forrest <diatribe@××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-ebuild] Bash 2.05a with bash_completion
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 16:03:31
1 1) The best way to get a better idea of what the patch does is to look
2 through the patch file, but basically it allows you to complete on
3 services in init.d followed by the scripts available commands. After
4 looking at bash_completion a little more closely, it seems that service
5 completion is a little RedHat specific at the moment, but I'll try to
6 come up with a more generic one.
7
8 More precisely, it adds bash_servicename_completion_function (text,
9 state) and related code to bashline.c/h.
10
11 Maybe I should just forget the patch and make a separate package.
12
13 2) This may have something to do with the following condition:
14
15 if [ -z "`use build`" ]
16
17 This is from Daniels Bash 2.04 ebuild. In make.conf, it says not to set
18 the 'build' USE flag and it looks like this flag is used to build the
19 docs in this particular ebuild. So, can't answer this very well. Any help?
20
21 You're right that bash does have example completion code and
22 bash_completion is based on this.
23
24 3) Again, this was the homepage defined in the previous ebuild. I did
25 check out the site you mentioned and it does seem to be the homepage. It
26 does say though, that it is a GNU project so I'm inclined to leave it as
27 is for now.
28
29 Finale) Yes, I've made a decision: I'm going to make a separate package
30 without the service completion patch. This seems to be the simple and
31 straight forward approach for now.
32
33 Zach
34
35 Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:
36
37 > Hey,
38 >
39 > A few questions:
40 >
41 > 1) What do these 'service completions' provide over the programmable
42 > copletions in the current bash in portage?
43 >
44 > 2) Why arent the example docs that come with the curren bash installed?
45 > There is some completion code in there...
46 >
47 > 3) The bash homepage isnt http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/bash.html, its
48 > http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/bash/bashtop.html
51 > -Tom