From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 11:36:34
1 On Sunday 05 October 2003 14:22, Kevyn Shortell wrote:
2 > > I think the main point to the discussion is new users. I, too, have never
3 > > used genkernel so don't know how viable the idea of using it in its
4 > > current state would be. Nor am I admonishing that it should be the "only
5 > > way to go". However, everything in Gentoo is configured, compiled and
6 > > installed through the single emerge command. It would make most sense to
7 > > me to choose what classes of drivers/functionality I wanted through USE
8 > > flags and then do post-installation configuration through
9 > > /etc/modules.autoload*. Can anyone say why the kernel is special and
10 > > should be done differently? - other than if it ain't broke don't fix it!
11 >
12 > Because the kernel is much more than that. Linux as a whole has never
13 > setup kernel building for new users, and probably never will. You
14 > actually need to know a lot about your hardware to build an optimized
15 > kernel for it.
16
17 I'm not talking about a fully-optimized kernel. I'm talking about for the "new
18 user" who is competent enough to reach building a kernel but is at a loss
19 once reaching that point in an installation.
20
21 > To put into basic perspective, if you want to have USE flags for kernel
22 > building, would you know to use something like:
23 >
24 > USE="pnp network pci radeon 16550 tulip ohci ps2 ipv4 ext3 idecd ata100
25 > dma
26 >
27 > The list goes on and on. There are somethings as a user your going to
28 > just have to decide to learn how to do. If not you can always use the rh
29 > sources, and thier config to have a kernel that will boot almost
30 > anything. Using use flags as you suggested, still requires you to know a
31 > lot about your hardware, which wouldn't help you from using the current
32 > kernel configuration system, which is not gentoo specific.
33
34 To take your example, I would prefer something like:
35
36 USE="network 3daccel usb cdrom"
37
38 Comparing to your example, what I'm suggesting as a simple possibility is:
39 "network" = "network" + "tulip" + "ipv4"
40 "3daccel" = "radeon" (+ "i810", etc)
41 "usb" = "ohci" (+ "uhci" + "ehci", etc)
42 "cdrom" = "idecd" (+ "idescsi", etc)
43
44 "comm", "ps2", "usb", "pnp", "pci", "ext3" & "ata100" would all be installed
45 by default as they don't add any negatives other than a small amount of
46 memory usage or wasted time attempting to load modules.
47
48 A while a go there was one email to -user asking what he was doing wrong when
49 genkernel was taking several hours. The simple reason was that it was
50 compiling almost everything. I'm simply offering a solution where it is easy
51 for a user to be pretty sure a compiled kernel will operate all his/her
52 hardware (as far as the kernel is capable) without spending time building all
53 drivers for some class of device that isn't in the system.
54
55 > > I'm with almost all other people in that it would not be a high priority
56 > > for some time to come. On the other hand, I'm against people who are
57 > > putting forward arguments that the kernel is somehow special. Almost
58 > > every other package is installed with extra cruft so that can't be used
59 > > as an excuse. Gentoo is about making things easier for everyone which
60 > > means safe defaults and easily accessible complete customisation, so
61 > > Luke-Jr's idea at least deserves consideration rather than instant
62 > > dismissal.
63 >
64 > I don't think anyone has an argument with making things easier, but we
65 > shouldn't make things easier for new users to the detriment of making
66 > things more difficult for everyone else. There is a point where Gentoo
67 > just might be more advanced than a new user is skill wise, and accept
68 > that.
69
70 Nobody's talking about making things harder for everyone else. "emerge
71 linux-gentoo-src" as Luke-Jr suggested is detrimentally difficult when
72 compared to "emerge gentoo-sources" is it? 2 extra keystrokes?! There are
73 also many people saying that Gentoo might just be too hard for lusers. Why
74 then was genkernel created in the first place?
75
76 Jason
79 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list