From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Adding perl to packages.build
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:17:28
1 First off, I'm going to ask that everyone please respond on gentoo-dev,
2 I am sending this to -core to try to catch everyone.
3
4 I am wanting to add dev-lang/perl to packages.build in default-linux.
5 Now, allow me to explain before you guys break out the torches and
6 pitchforks. The new current stable version of perl supports a "minimal"
7 and "build" USE flag that builds only the core perl. This is very
8 useful for us in creating a stage1 tarball, as it gives us a tiny (800K)
9 perl that resolves circular dependency problems with openssl<->perl.
10 The reason for adding it to packages.build is so it is available before
11 bootstrap, making it safe for any combination of USE flags.
12
13 I have tested this locally with not only a complete catalyst run, but
14 also using it to bootstrap with several different combinations of USE
15 flags. I was completely unable to produce any circular dependency
16 problems on x86, amd64, or ppc.
17
18 Anyway, if nobody has any objections to this, I'll be adding it on
19 Thursday.
22 Chris Gianelloni
24 Games - Developer
25 Gentoo Linux