From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] HDEPEND (host dependencies for cross-compilation) for EAPI 5?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:17:33
1 On 08/31/2012 02:53 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:11:38 -0700
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 08/31/2012 01:46 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:03:00 -0700
6 >>> What exactly would the rules be for handling a package that is in
7 >>> both DEPEND and HDEPEND, when ROOT is in effect? Would the versions
8 >>> be expected to match? What about use flags?
9 >>
10 >> For the sake of simplicity, I would treat them as entirely
11 >> independent. It should be easy enough for users to apply manual
12 >> configuration adjustments in order to resolve any conflicts of this
13 >> nature that may arise. If there turns out to be a strong demand for
14 >> additional constraints, we can consider adding them in a future EAPI
15 >> (possibly using a combined DEPENDENCIES variable).
16 >
17 > The thing is... Without some kind of "the same" constraint, we'd be
18 > adding a feature which would probably work most of the time only by
19 > coincidence.
20
21 Shrug, I don't do any cross-compilation myself, but maybe someone who
22 does could comment on the usefulness of this kind of constraint. Mike?
23 Brian?
24
25 >>> Also, we're getting rather a lot of *DEPEND variables here... If
26 >>> we're making people make major changes to their deps, which for
27 >>> HDEPEND we definitely would be,
28 >>
29 >> Well, I not sure that "major changes" is a really good
30 >> characterization. We're just talking about migrating a few things
31 >> from DEPEND to HDEPEND, and it's not strictly required. The migration
32 >> is only needed when fulfilling a request to support cross-compilation
33 >> in a particular ebuild.
34 >
35 > Where are you getting "a few" from? Is this "a few seems to be enough
36 > to make it work", or "someone carefully analysed lots of packages to
37 > work out exactly what dependencies are HDEPEND, and measured it"? I
38 > strongly suspect we're in "works by coincidence" territory again --
39 > "adding packages to HDEPEND as breakages are encountered" is a long way
40 > from "having an accurate HDEPEND". Are we aiming for the former or the
41 > latter?
42
43 I would think of it like prefix support in EAPI 3. Ebuilds using EAPI 3
44 were not required to support prefix. Similarly, ebuilds using EAPI 5
45 will not be required to support cross-compilation.
46 --
47 Thanks,
48 Zac