From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: language bindings as separate packages
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 15:10:32
1 Hi folks,
4 while building yum, I again ran into trouble because one
5 dependency has to be rebuilt with an specific useflag first
6 (in this case it was libxml2 + python useflag). Actually,
7 there are *lots* of these cases and (AFAIK) portage has no
8 way for properly handling this - it's up to the individual
9 ebuilds to check for those situations and artifically breaking
10 the build. Of coure, breaking builds are ugly.
11
12 My suggestion: make those language bindings being separate
13 packages. So, other packages can depend on them directly,
14 instead of the current, build-breaking hack.
15
16 I'm not advocating gentoo should do this step alone, but
17 instead join in the upstream and solve it there.
20 cu
21 --
23 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
25 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
26 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
27 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
28 http://patches.metux.de/
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list