From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: manual steps required to transition from eselect-opencl to direct icd-loader use
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 13:54:33
1 On 4/11/20 9:37 AM, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > Does this look okay to you, guys? The date is preliminary and dependent
3 > on how quickly we can get nvidia-drivers migrated to the new approach,
4 > hopefully we can get this to happen sooner.
5 >
6 > * * *
7 >
8 > Title: Manual steps required during upgrade to an eselect-free OpenCL set-up
9 > Author: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
10 > Posted: 2020-05-01
11 > Revision: 1
12 > News-Item-Format: 2.0
13 > Display-If-Installed: app-eselect/eselect-opencl
14 >
15 > We are now in the process of migrating OpenCL in Gentoo to having all
16 > implementations operate through an ICD loader (dev-libs/ocl-icd or
17 > dev-libs/opencl-icd-loader) installed directly into /usr instead of
18 > using eselect-opencl to switch between implementations. eselect-free
19 > versions
20 > of loader packages have just been released to the public.
21 >
22 > Unfortunately although the upgrade to those versions will automatically
23 > uninstall app-eselect/eselect-opencl, it will not remove the symbolic
24 > links to
25 > libOpenCL.so created by this tool in library directories because those links
26 > are not owned by the package in question. If your system is configured for
27 > full collision protection (FEATURES=collision-protect), it will be necessary
28 > to manually remove those links
29 >
30 > rm -i /usr/lib{,64}/libOpenCL.so*
31 >
32 > before running the upgrade.
33 >
34 > Systems whose collision protection either allows overwriting orphaned files
35 > (FEATURES='-collision-protect protect-owned') or which do not use collision
36 > protection at all (not recommended) should be unaffected.
41 I would mention that FEATURES='-collision-protect protect-owned' is the
42 default so most people won't have any action to take at all.
43
44 Brian