From: Greg Aumann <Greg_Aumann@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo-UTF8
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 02:37:33
1 I am quite interested in converting my gentoo system to UTF-8. I haven't
2 gone any further than using a UTF-8 locale yet. I am also writing an
3 ebuild for the Openi18n input method framework
4 http://www.openi18n.org/subgroups/im/IIIMF/
5
6 I am particularly interested in input methods, fonts and getting Chinese
7 going under UTF-8.
8
9 Greg
10
11 > Hello,
12 > I'm looking for some advice to make a Gentoo installation thats
13 > completely UTF-8 compliant. This is a developer issue, as I'm also
14 > looking for what regards will be required from our side to make UTF-8
15 > the default for applications and userspace tools, as well as how to make
16 > it work nicely in the console.
17 >
18 > So far I think RedHat is the one distribution thats "ahead" in this
19 > case, (I haven't had the chance to try SuSe) but they fail too (gtk+-1.2
20 > for example will make fun things happen when it hits öæøØÆÅÄÖåä )
21 >
22 > So, a roadmap of sorts, perhaps documentation and a list of "broken
23 > apps" in regards to this would be a nice start, and then providing
24 > buildfixes and patches to make things work as supposed....
27 > yep, this goal is pretty big and will be a long time thing that should
28 > probably be covered by USE="utf8" or other flag, but in this case I'm
29 > looking for input from developers and users who have ideas on how to
30 > make this happen and make it a smooth transition.
33 > //Spider
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list