From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 04:12:09
1 Mike Gilbert posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 11:49:42 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 7:42 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> On 08/24/2016 07:37 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> I imagine _someone_ out there wants it, otherwise we wouldn't be
8 >>> discussing it.
9 >>
10 >> The thread started out proposing it as a solution to a docker problem
11 >> that, it turns out, isn't a problem. Why are we still trying to fixing
12 >> something that isn't broken? Maybe I'm losing it, but nowhere in the
15 > You're right that the orignal purpose of the change has been debunked.
16 >
17 > So, starting over: one real benefit would be cross-compatibility with
18 > systemd. It's one less thing people would need to reconfigure when
19 > migrating to/from openrc.
20 >
21 > And before anyone starts an argument about it, I don't care what your
22 > opinion on systemd is. I'm just throwing this out there as an actual
23 > benefit of adding support for /etc/hostname to openrc.
24
25 Are you sure about systemd?
26
27 Because I'm on systemd here, working fine as far as can be observed, and
28 I don't have /etc/hostname.
29
30 [after googling and checking manpages]
31
32 Seems it's (semi-?)optional. The hostnamectl command can be used to set
33 the hostname (pretty/static/transient/or-combination-of) among other
34 things, and /etc/hostname presumably controls the static name.
35
36 But I have the (reported as transient) name set by kconfig option, and
37 apparently that's all that's needed on my setup, anyway.
38
39 So it seems systemd works just fine without /etc/hostname, certainly so
40 if it's set elsewhere, like say via kconfig option.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman