From: Andrei Ivanov <andrei.ivanov@××××.ro>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] djbdns 1.05-r8 breaks forward-only behaviour of dnscache
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:19:17
1 Phew... I've noticed there was something wrong with djbdns, but I couldn't
2 figure out why queries take so much time after the upgrade... thanks.
3
4 On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Justin Whitney wrote:
5
6 > Hi,
7 >
8 > The round-robin patch included in the djbdns-1.05-r8 ebuild breaks
9 > default dnscache FORWARDONLY behaviour. this means that servers/@ and
10 > env/FORWARDONLY are not honored, and the ns roots are queried for
11 > lookups. The result of the patch is that if you set FORWARDONLY and
12 > servers/@ to a non-root cache, expecting to make efficient use of, say,
13 > your ISP's nameservers, you'll end up doing far more queries than you
14 > intended for any given lookup... on my systems because of latency I was
15 > timing out for a lot of lookups. to test, compile with rr-patch, set
16 > dnscache up to do forward-only (per DJB's docs), and then sniff to see
17 > the root queries I mentioned. recompile without it, and repeat to see
18 > the difference.
19 >
20 > bug filed.
21 >