From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:59:15
1 On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:34:05 -0500 Andrew Muraco <tuxp3@×××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | 2. What choices/options are on the table for this feature?
4
5 The big controversy seems to be over whether repositories carry a
6 unique identifier string (for example, in metadata/repository_id) or
7 whether it's user-assigned. The former is clearly the more sensible
8 option, since it lets you do things like (syntax made up):
9
10 DEPEND=">=foo-bar/baz-2.1::ciaranmssekritrepo"
11
12 which would add a restriction that only packages in ciaranmssekritrepo
13 would be considered. This only works if the repository knows its own
14 identifier, however...
15
16 Incidentally, the ::repo syntax (or whatever) would also be useful in
17 the world file, along with :slot. So something like:
18
19 foo-bar/baz:2::ciaranmssekritrepo
20
21 would tell the package manager that you want baz SLOT 2 from
22 ciaranmssekritrepo.
23
24 *shrug* But it seems the Portage guys want repository names to be
25 user-assigned, which makes them far less useful.
28 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
29 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
30 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm