From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] using markup language for eclassdoc tags
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 11:18:16
1 On Mon, 2021-01-04 at 04:03 -0700, Tim Harder wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've written nascent support for eclassdoc man page generation (along
5 > with rST and HTML docs) in pkgcore [1] accessible on the cli via `pmaint
6 > eclass` that intends to provide an alternative to the current awk
7 > implementation [2].
8 >
9 > In doing so, I've noticed that the formatting of the docs feels quite
10 > haphazard due to reinventing some of the syntax for proper markup
11 > languages via embedded tags (e.g. @CODE for literal code blocks) while
12 > not handling other basic cases properly (e.g. bulleted lists).
13 >
14 > What does the community think about selecting a specific markup language
15 > and using that for multiline text for related eclassdoc tags (e.g.
16 > @DESCRIPTION)? That way, we can toss out the @CODE/@SUBSECTION tag
17 > workarounds and use what the markup language natively provides directly.
18 >
19 > In terms of choice, I'd personally choose reStructuredText since that
20 > generally plugs into python easier via docutils/sphinx (currently used
21 > for pkgcore's man/html conversion), but am open to discussion of
22 > alternatives such as markdown.
23
24 I'm all for switching to rST in the foreseeable future but let's stick
25 with the existing syntax for the transition period, i.e. until new
26 pkgcore is stable and deployed on Infra. I'm not saying you have to
27 strictly copy the existing magic, just get a reasonably readable result
28 for the existing eclasses.
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny