From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What do you think about removing gtk-1.2 theme engines from tree?
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 11:13:08
1 On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 10:21 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > "Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy" <pclouds@×××××.com> posted
3 > fcaeb9bf0703030635j6be68a2dh309bcc1b0120666a@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Sat, 03 Mar 2007 21:35:16 +0700:
5 >
6 > > On 2/27/07, Andrej Kacian <ticho@g.o> wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> Because it's much more convenient to just go "emerge theme" instead of
9 > >> googling up the upstream website, finding the link to download,
10 > >> download it, unpack and figure out how to install.
11 > >
12 > > Me too. Should we create a theme overlay (officially) and move non-code
13 > > themes there?
14 >
15 > Now that's IMO a very useful idea! =8^) I too find themes available in
16 > portage useful, but equally don't necessarily believe they belong in the
17 > main tree. An overlay seems to me to be the perfect solution.
18
19 Additionally themes being in portage or an overlay (even just data
20 packages) gives users the benefit of not having to check for updates
21 from tons of different places for different themes.
22 Just emerge --update world and all is taken care of.
25 As far as gtk-1* itself is concerned, GNOME team does not want to
26 maintain it - however several other developers have already stepped up
27 (in past threads) to take over maintainership. Just need to formalize it
28 with someone at some point in metadata.xml
29 In other words - gtk1 is probably not going anywhere in the foreseeable
30 future.
34 Mart Raudsepp
35 Gentoo Developer (wxwindows, gnome)
36 Mail: leio@g.o