From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pms-bugs@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New version constraints: variant one
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 23:21:26
1 >>>>> On Thu, 10 Nov 2016, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > The following revision-free version comparison operators are provided:
4
5 > == exact version match, or prefix match (with *)
6 > != exact version non-match, or prefix non-match (with *)
7 > < version less than match
8 > <= version less or equal to match
9 > > version greater than match
10 > >= version greater or equal to match
11
12 I think we should stick to the existing operators, and not introduce
13 two slightly different sets for different contexts.
14
15 Especially:
16 - The operator for exact version match should be = not ==.
17 - Omit the != operator because it can be confused with blockers. If an
18 operator for inequality is needed, we can add one but it should work
19 everywhere (we could e.g. use <> for that).
20 - The ~ operator is missing.
21
22 > All those operators compare on versions ignoring the revision part.
23
24 I am strictly opposed to this. Again, it is confusing to have the same
25 operators acting in a different way depending on context.
26
27 > The following revision-oriented version comparison operators are
28 > provided:
29
30 > === exact version+revision match
31 > !== exact version+revision non-match
32 > <== version+revision less or equal to match
33 > >== version+revision greater or equal to match
34
35 These are not necessary if the regular operators match revision.
36
37 Ulrich