From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New category for xmingw cross compile toolchain
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:56:02
1 Just a few opinions from the outside looking in...
2
3 On Thursday 13 October 2005 12:25 pm, Stefan Jones wrote:
4 > I am just wondering about people's option about making a new category,
5 > called something like dev-xmingw or similar.
6
7 Wouldn't set a precident for dev-gcc, dev-icc, dev-[enter alternate toolchain
8 here]?
9
10 > The other option is to make an external non-official tree that people
11 > could use as an overlay.
12
13 Personally I don't like that idea either. To me, external overlays are
14 'tainted' because they are not blessed enough to be part of the default
15 gentoo tree. I therefore don't trust them and don't use them. Obviously
16 that means I don't get the latest cutting edge stuff, but to have a stable
17 gentoo environment I'm willing to make that sacrafice.
18
19 Relegating these mingw stuff to an external overlay would carry the same
20 'taint' with it.
21
22 And the fact that external non-official overlays are not really given much
23 representation in the doco, most users looking for something like this would
24 not have any idea that the external overlay existed and they could get the
25 packages they're looking for from there.
26
27 Like I said, just comments from an outsider...
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list