From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GSoC proposal: cp --reflink support for zfs.
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:32:01
1 It is a moot point because I do not think this project idea is feasible.
2
3 On Mar 12, 2014, at 1:19 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
6 >> Things that provide us with improvements over what we have are
7 >> definitely worth consideration as GSoC projects. However, what is
8 >> accepted ultimately depends on not only feedback from a potential
9 >> mentor, but also a vote of Gentoo developers.
10 >
11 > Honestly, this seems like a less-than-ideal fit for Gentoo. We don't
12 > really use ZFS at all, other than as yet another package in our tree.
13 > Any of the Mozilla/ GSoC ideas would make as much sense to deliver as
14 > part of the Gentoo GSoC.
15 >
16 > Now, if this were about integrating auto-snapshots into the package
17 > manager, (like can be done with snapper), etc, then I could see more
18 > relevance (though it probably wouldn't rise to a full project). I
19 > could also see some kind of project to integrate advanced filesystem
20 > features into core elements of our distro across many filesystems
21 > (though I don't really see the relevance for reflinks in particular,
22 > and they only apply to COW filesystems anyway).
23 >
24 > This just seems like a ZFS project, and not like a Gentoo project.
25 > I'd say the same if this were about adding a mute button to tabs in
26 > Chromium, or fixing the offline btrfsck, or whatever. All of those
27 > things would be useful to Gentoo, but only insofar as they'd be useful
28 > to anybody.
29 >
30 > Rich
31 >