From: gentoo-user@××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] System management - Portage management
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:30:37
1 On 22 Feb 2002 jboyens@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > I'm seriously considering using Gentoo for my office, but I need to
4 > figure out some ideas on how to get the 8 boxes to "sync-up". I need
5 > the applications to be the same. Versions, apps installed, features,
6 > etc. Pretty much I want 8 boxes exactly the same with some minor
7 > config changes. We mount our /home off of an NFS mount, so that gives
8 > us concurrent settings and the like. Any suggestions on how to keep
9 > the packages updated and the same?
12 Appoint one of the machines as "master" and have it do updates (I advise
13 you to do that manually for safety). Then someway copy the files of your
14 "master" system to all the slaves. You can write some script for doing the
15 updating. Basically rsync could do most of the job. It doesn't delete old
16 files though, but
17
18 find / -xdev >filelist
19
20 on the master and
21
22 find / -xdev >slavelist
23
24 on the slaves and than a compare
25
26 cat filelist slavelist |sort |uniq -u >filestodelete
27
28 and a final
29
30 rm `cat filestodelete`
31
32 if you are sure (on the slaves of course)
33
34 Good luck
35
36 Paul
39 ___
40 /~~~\ | Paul de Vrieze
41 | O-O | | Student of information management and technology
42 | _ | | Mail: Paul@××××××××.net
43 \___/ | Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net