From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adding a code of conduct
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:34:57
1 Mike,
2
3 Am Montag, 3. April 2006 23:38 schrieb Mike Frysinger:
4 > dont get me wrong, i hate documenting common sense as much as the next sane
5 > guy, but it seems Gentoo has come to the point where this needs to be done
6 >
7 > many thanks to the Ubuntu guys and to solar for doing the real work here:
8 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/xml/conduct.html
9 >
10 > i dont see how anyone can be against this (unless you're a terrorist!), so
11 > this is on track to be integrated as-is into the dev handbook Etiquette
12 > section
13 > -mike
14
15 Well, you're wrong. I'm against this conduct in its current form and I am no
16 terrorist. Further, i really dislike how you tried to avoid public discussion
17 by deeming everyone who disagrees as a terrorist. There are several occasions
18 where a Gentoo developer is asked to initiate publis discussion when he
19 introduces something that affects the whole tree. The council demands 14 days
20 to publicly discuss GLEPs that shall be voted upon.
21
22 But when a document which has such a great impact as this conduct you (and
23 others) propose, and which is possibly controversely discussed among
24 developers, is just passed by w/o discussion I really start wondering if the
25 community aspect (which is emphasized by this document) is really of
26 interest to you.
27
28 I understand that you're not happy with the status of developer relation (not
29 to be confused with Gentoo DevRel) right now, but please choose another way.
30
31 I don't agree with some of the wording of the conduct, mostly with the last
32 paragraphs. For example:
33 >Repeated disruptive behaviors will be viewed as a security and stability
34 Who is to judge what behavior is disruptive?
35 >threat to Gentoo. Your access to Gentoo infrastructure may be suspended
36 >without notice if it is deemed that you fall into this category. If your
37 This would allow to infra to say: I don't like your way, you're disruptive!
38 Your access will be suspended. And honestly, i think this is what just
39 happened.
40 >account is suspended, you will still retain full developer status -- you will
41 >simply not have access to Gentoo infrastructure. You may continue to do
42 >development work during your suspension. You may elect to save up your
43 This is awful: "Oh, a suspended developer is _allowed_ to not give his things
44 out to the public." Please change remove this first part of this sentence
45 completely.
46 >changes until such a point where your access has been reinstated, or you may
47 >work with another developer to have them commit changes on your behalf. If
48 >you choose the latter option, please ensure members of the Infrastructure
49 >project have reviewed and approved the proxy relationship to avoid having
50 >access cut off for both developers.
51 IMHO, this is rediculous as well. We already had this discussion during the
52 last incident. Infrastrucure has no hold on what and how developers commit
53 user contributed changes, as long as these changes are lawful (read:
54 license/copyright problems) and no security thread.
55
56 It's infras job to enforce the permissions as given by devrel. If devrel says,
57 somebody is allowed to commit in the main tree, nobody but devrel should be
58 allowed to revoke this. The only exceptions are those case already stated
59 above.
60
61 This is how it has been handled so far except in the ciaranm incident. This is
62 how I personally think this should be handled in future.
63
64 Danny
65 --
66 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
67 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
68 --
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list