From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] news item: Language of compiler messages etc. in build logs
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 20:57:47
1 Dear all,
2
3 in today's council session, we decided to add LC_MESSAGES=C to the base
4 profile make.defaults, accompanied by a news item. Below is a draft for said
5 news item for review and comments. I will commit the news item and the profile
6 change upcoming friday evening.
7
8 ###
9 Title: Language of compiler messages etc. in build logs
10 Author: Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
11 Content-Type: text/plain
12 Posted: 2013-08-16
13 Revision: 1
14 News-Item-Format: 1.0
15
16 As of today, the emerge build logs do not use the system locale
17 anymore but default to English. The intention behind this is to
18 ease the work of bug-wranglers and package maintainers, who may
19 have a hard time analyzing localized builds. This change only
20 affects the emerge build logs, nothing else.
21
22 If you really want to have e.g. localized compiler error messages
23 in your builds, set LC_MESSAGES in your /etc/portage/make.conf.
24 Note that submitting localized build logs to the Gentoo Bugzilla
25 is discouraged, and that such bug reports may be closed as INVALID
26 by the package maintainer.
27 ###
28
29 Cheers, Andreas