From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Network configuration and bash
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:41:51
1 On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:27:58 +0900
2 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Quoting Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>:
5 > >
6 > > FreeBSD sh + Gentoo baselayout = cold boot in around 4 seconds
7 > > Going to multi-user from single user after a boot is under 2 seconds
8 > > (times measured from when init starts rc - the difference is
9 > > probably because the all my local mounts are still mounted)
10 > >
11 > > I have this running on a 2Ghz P4 Laptop right now. Admittedly, no
12 > > network scripts are started expect for the loopback interface, but
13 > > all default scripts + openvpn, ssh, dnsmasq, metalog and vixie-cron
14 > > are started.
15 >
16 > And what are the numbers with bash? Just curious.
17
18 About a second or two slower.
19 ie not much difference at all in the grand scheme of things. But that's
20 to be expected as most of the gain has come from moving existing bash
21 code to C - except for the init script's themselves.
22
23 Also note that when this gets released at some point, Linux will be
24 slower as it has to load udev. FreeBSD has loaded devfs and done its
25 magic before init, so there will always be some skew as to which is
26 faster/better.
27
28 But that's why *I* am doing it.
29